Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Math with Riley

Here is what it is like to do a math problem with Riley. :)

Riley: There were 459 boys and 462 girls on a field. What kind of field, mom? It couldn't be a baseball field, there wouldn't be enough room for all of those kids. Maybe a football field or a soccer field.

Mom: I don't know what kind of field, Riley. It really doesn't matter. Back to the problem, please.

Riley: They were arranged into 9 lines. Wow, I bet that was hard. That's alot of kids. I bet it took a really long time. Do you think it was teachers putting them in the lines, or their parents?

Mom: I don't know, Riley. (Mom rubs her temples and thanks God that there are only 7 problems in this assignment. Singapore math is the best!). Maybe you should just focus on solving the actual math problem?

Riley: How many children are in each line? Oh yeah! I'm right on it! OK, I'm going find the total number of children on the field. I'm going to say it's a football field! Like from the super bowl.

Mom: Yes, that's a good start for the problem. (Mom wants chocolate really bad)

Riley: OK, now I divide by 9 to find out how many children were in each line. What time are we going swimming today?

Mom: Not until your math is done.

Riley: OH! Ok, the answer is _____. That was pretty easy. I'm getting used to the two step problems now! I remember when they used to be very hard, but now they are easy to me! Why are you looking at me like that, Mom? Do you feel OK?

8 comments:

Heather said...

Hysterical! I needed that laugh!

Jan said...

ROFL!!! Wow, I thought I was reading about Matthew there for a second. ha ha!

lisaquing said...

LOL Jen! Wow, that's quite something!

The Glasers said...

Jen, at least Riley got the answer right. David would have done all of that blah-blah and then would have gotten it wrong! :-P

JamBerry said...

Sly would've been talking about something else entirely, or playing with his pencil, or getting up to find a cat, or (most likely of all), wanting to know when/what he could eat. :)

JamBerry said...

I just had to come back and say Sly is currently singing his math test--aloud and quite dramatically--to the tune of "Jingle Bell Rock." But, he's understanding the math and getting them all right. I, however, am losing my mind! haha!

Niffercoo said...

Glad to make everyone smile! I wasn't smiling at the time, but we I go back and read it now, it's quite humorous! Riley is going to grow up to be one amazing young woman... I hope I survive to see it! LOL

Jen

Prince Andrew and the Queen Mum said...

I had to re-read this to remember that I am not alone...
Mom: time to read
Andrew: ok
Mom: starts to read...gets to the 2nd word..
Andrew: but I'm hungry
Mom: we'll get something to eat when we are done
Andrew: but I'm realllly hungry
Mom: mom walks away because this happens every day every time and she is tired of it.
Andrew: I'm sorry
Mom: starts reading again
Andrew: But my eyes are itchy
Mom: well just close your eyes and listen
Andrew: but i have boogers
Mom: well pick them whileI read
Andrew: what should I do about the boogers.

etc etc etc