Tuesday, January 01, 2008

888 Reading Challenge List

I am taking part in the 888 reading challenge! The complete rules are on at link, but basically you choose 8 categories, pick 8 books for each category, but 8 books can crossover into different categories.

The hardest part for me was choosing the categories! There are 6 crossovers, so that means I will be planning to read 58 books in 2008! I don't know if I will actually accomplish this goal, but it will be fun trying!

Books about Vampires
1. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
2. New Moon by Stephenie Meyer
3. Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer
4. Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (4th in the Twilight Series, due out late 2008)
5. Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (#1 in Vampire Chronicles series)
6. I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
7. The Vampire Lestat (#2 in Vampire Chronicles)
8. Morrigan's Cross (#1 in the Circle Trilogy)


New Series I'm Starting
1. The Field Guide by Tony DiTerlizzi (#1 in the Spiderwick Chronicles)
2. Eragon by Christopher Paolini (Inheritance Series)
3. The Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan (39 clues series)
4. The Fairy-tale Detectives (Sisters' Grimm series) completed - audiobook
5. Big Red Tequila by Rick Riordan (Tres Navarre series)
6. Interview with the Vampire (Vampire Chronicles)
7. Crocodile on the Sandbanks (Amelia Peabody Emerson Mysteries)
8. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'engle (Wrinkle in Time Series)


Continuations of Series I've Already Started
1. The Seeing Stone by Tony DiTerlizzi (Spiderwick Chronicles)
2. The Usual Suspects (Sister's Grimm)
3. Eldest by Christopher Paolini (Inheritance)
4. Voyager by Diana Galbadon (Outlander #3)
5. Drums of Autumn by Diana Galbadon (Outlander #4)
6. The Fiery Cross by Diana Galbadon (Outlander #5)
7. Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Galbadon (Outlander #6)
8. Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum)


Books that will be made into movies/are movies
1. Atonement by Ian McEwan
2. PS I Love You by Cecelia Ahern
3. The Water Horse by Dick King Smith completed
4. Love in the Time of Cholera
5. I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
6. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
7. The Field Guide by Tony DiTerlizzi(#1 in the Spiderwick Chronicles)
8. Macbeth by William Shakespeare


New Releases from Favorite Authors
1. The Choice by Nicholas Sparks
2. The Appeal by John Grisham
3. The Host by Stephenie Meyer (May 2008)
4. Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum #14 - out in July 2008)
5. Plum Lucky by Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum extra) completed
6. Battle of the Labryinth by Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson #4 - out in May 2008)
7. Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (Twilight #4 - release unknown, expected late 2008)
8. The Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan (39 Clues series - release fall 2008)


Self Improvement
1. Unofficial Guide to Disney completed
2. Walt Disney Without Kids in progress
3. Apprenticeship in Thinking by Barbara Rogoff
4. Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey substitution completed
5. Awakening Childrens Minds by Laura E. Berk in progress
6. The Not So Big House, A Blueprint for the Way We Really Live by Sarah Susanka substitution in progress
7. One Year Chronological Bible, NLT in progress
8. Laying Down the Rails: A Charlotte Mason Habits Handbook by Simply Charlotte Mason substitution


Classics I Never Read in School
1. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
2. Brave New World by Aldus Huxley
3. Autobiography of Ben Franklin
4. Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery
5. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
6. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
7. The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain
8. My Antonia by Willa Cather


Children/Young Adult Books
1. The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart
2. The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall
3. Holes by Louis Sachar
4. Demons of the Oceans (Vampirates series)
5. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'engle
6. My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George
7. The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo completed
8. Princess Academy by Shannon Hale

4 comments:

Lil Sadie Homemaker said...

You can do it!

I'm not going to make a list of books TO read, but I am going to start maintaining a list of books as I read them.

Do I get to count my textbooks??

poohder said...

Wow, we are sooo different! having this type of list would give me more stress,lol!! It would make me feel like I have another HAVE TO hanging over my head. But I guess that is why I find blogs so interesting/ They show me how other people think. What is motivating for one person is different for others. Go for it!!

kdzugan said...

I admire anyone who sets themselves an aggressive reading challenge. In one of your books you are in for a real treat

I have been a voracious reader all my life. I never thought that I needed to know anything more about how to read. However 1990 I read about a book by someone named Mortimer Adler whom I had never heard of. The title of the book was “How to Read a Book.” Even though I knew everything about how to read I became intrigued by the title this book. I finally bought the book. I read it and then I read it again, and again, and again. Over the course of several years Dr. Adler dramatically changed what I read, how I read, and why I read. I used to read predominantly to be entertained. Now I read to learn. Using what Dr. Adler taught me, I now get in order of magnitude more out of books that I ever did before.


If you have not already done so I urge you to read "The Time of Our Lives"
by Mortimer Adler. In this book he summarizes and adds to Aristotelian and Thomistic philosophy about what it means to live a good life, why we should live a good life, and how to live a good life. For more information on Mortimer Adler and his work, visit www.TheGreatIdeas.org.

Ken Dzugan
Senior Fellow and Archivist
The Center for the Study of The Great Ideas

Prince Andrew and the Queen Mum said...

Do cookbooks count???!!! I've read 2 already this year...