Friday, November 09, 2007

Week in Review: November 5-9

This was another nice week. It was busier than last week in terms of our Ambleside workload, but we also didn't have baseball this week so that was a little nice. Austin's reading Tanglewood Tales, and seems to be enjoying it. I pulled it from a lower year of AO, but I can't recall which one. Our local library has one copy, so I didn't have to purchase it. Riley is reading Through the Looking Glass. Our lunch time read-aloud isn't on the AO list, that I'm aware of: Bridge to Terabithia. My mom bought the DVD, and I'd really like the children to be familiar with the story before we watch the movie adaptation. For geography, we're trying to finish up Paddle-to-the-Sea. It's another earlier year AO selection, but I've never experienced these books and I wanted to add them in! The assigned geography for Year 3 is Marco Polo, and we'll get to him at the end of the year. The kids are reading The Princess and the Goblin to themselves.

We are skipping a bit of the history reading this month because I want to focus more on the First Thanksgiving aspects and the story behind it. In science, we finished learning about seeds. We'll wrap up Botany for the season with the chapter on flowers, and start Astronomy in December. We'll pick Botany back up in the spring, then finish up Astronomy next summer.

Math is going fairly well. Riley is just beginning multiple digit multiplication and long division. So far, she doesn't seem to be having any trouble with the concepts. Austin is, finally, understanding long division with single-digit divisors. ::hoping that didn't jinx us:: We'll move on to double-digit divisors next week.

Both kids are doing well with their grammar and copywork/dictation assignments. Austin transitioned to cursive on regular wide ruled paper, instead of the HWT paper, and he's starting to get the hang of it. French (Riley) and Spanish (Austin) via CD-rom are also going very smoothly, and they race each other to see who gets to be the first to work on the computer!

I resumed lessons with Reece this week, and it has helped her to not be as destructive during her down time. I picked up our reading lessons again and she's doing nicely. Math is easy for her, and she loves it. "More Math!" is something that we hear from her alot. She's also starting lower case letters.

I think that's about all for this week. :) I still can't shake the feeling that we're not doing enough writing, so I may be adding back in the paragraph writing for Austin. Argh! LOL

1 comment:

The Glasers said...

I read "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" way early in the AmblesideOnline scheme because of the movies. I have the same deal as you do: for quality books turned into movies, we read the book first! Then, we get to nitpick to death the director's choices and how we would have done it differently (i.e. better, ha, ha, ha).