Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Of things and stuff

I'm going to try to keep this light-hearted.

Reece is going through a phase. A thing. A funk. It started around the time of her surgery, so I hope it's related to that. Which means that it will go away soon. She is being destructive. So far, in the last 2 days, she has destroyed 2 rolls of toilet paper (by unraveling them in her bedroom); Riley's doll bed (by taking it apart piece by piece); our globe (by sticking it with velcro tape and then trying to pull the tape off); the countertop (writing on it with pen). There is more, but I think that gives a good sampling. She's 5 and a half, folks. I should be able to school her siblings, or have a rest time, and expect that she won't destroy something in the process. She's also telling everyone that she "can't do ______" whether it be dance class, or drawing, or really anything. She says she's the worst girl ever. I can't begin to describe how this makes me feel. Austin has done this since he was about this age. I really thought we would miss this because of the therapy that we started so much earlier with her.

School stuff has gone well, it's just been hard because of all this other stuff with Reece. We are still really enjoying our Ambleside readings! I gave the kids more responsiblity for the readings on their own this week, and they seem to be doing quite well with it. They did complain that they miss me reading everything aloud, but I told them that they need to start reading more of their own school books! :) Charlotte says so. Ok, I didn't say that part, but I did tell them that it was time for them to do more of their own reading. It also helps with the competition that comes at narration time. Austin's thinking right now is still so black-and-white that if Riley narrates something different, he thinks his is wrong, no matter how I try to tell him differently. It's sort of the "I'm the worst kid ever", 11 year old version. So if they are reading silently, they can do narrations with me alone. I have been assigning 15 minutes at a time, but I think next week I think I'm going to assign chapters, because they are reading at different rates and it's hard to keep up with where everyone is in each book.

I'm going to go ahead and publish this... I'm trying to type this and participate in the RDI Webinar and it's not working! I hope this makes some sense! :)

4 comments:

Sarah said...

{{Jen}} I hope Reece gets over her funk soon.
If it makes you feel any better on the destruction front, my kids managed to break one of my new kitchen chairs today.

The Glasers said...

I'm praying for dear Reece! It must be hard for her to make these adjustments.

Will Austin argue with you if you point out what you got out of the reading? What if you read something from the Gospel that appears in more than one place--often they are the same stories told with a different point of view. Or it's like looking at those optical illusions (old woman versus the young woman). Or it's even as basic as a person looking at the front of an object and the other looking at the back. I wonder if experience sharing concrete things from a different visual perspective might help him realize there is some gray in this world.

poohder said...

Oooh! Tammy's idea is good! He still needs to understand that others have perspectives which could be different from his. Maybe
you could just do simple ink blot images and discuss how you each see something different. Or look at the clouds outside and talk about the differnt things you see, or look at anything from a distance and notice how different they look once you get closer. Anything you can talk about to show perspectives is a good thing.

Niffercoo said...

Those are great ideas... we keep plugging away at it and hopefully one of these days it will click, like so many things do with him! In the mean time, I may lose my mind! LOL