Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The Experiment

**See below for update

With much trepidation, I've decided that we will take the month of September off from formal academics. Notice I'm not saying that we'll take the month off from learning, because I suspect much learning will be taking place --- just not the kind that can be neatly filed into their school binders! ;) I am planning to keep somewhat detailed notes on my blog, so I can better process what happens this month.

The rest of this week will not be very tricky to manage. We'll be packing for our trip to the beach, and getting the house ready. Then we'll be gone for a week. When we get back we'll be tired and in beach withdrawl for a few days, and then? Well, that's the part that makes me so nervous.

In order for this to be successful, I'm going to have to be very disciplined. The hardest part for me will be the temptation of the computer. Yeah, I realize I'm on the computer now... but the kids are all still zonked out from yesterday's busy-ness. I'm going to have to give myself some very strict rules about the computer.

I'm really nervous about how this will play out. I know it sounds silly to be nervous about having no book work! But I'm as much a creature of habit as the children are. And I know that Austin does not handle 'down time' very well.

So The Experiment begins. Stay tuned for updates! :)

** Ok, here is the first update. I think this is a mistake. I'm going to see how it works out when we get back from vacation. I'm not sure if I can handle this lack of structure!! ::sigh::

3 comments:

lisaquing said...

Oooh! Exciting!! I think this could be a great thing!

lisaquing said...

Hey now, give yourself a CHANCE for goodness sake! No formal academics doesn't need to mean a lack of structure either.

The Glasers said...

If we want our kids to be life long learners, then it is instructive to see what they do when we are not cracking the whip. Tuesday was Pamela's first day back to structure, and, what did she do on the "last" day of her two-week mini-vacation . . . wrote fifteen pages in a journal she just started. I plan to get David going next week. Last night, he typed a detailed review of a movie he saw and emailed it to me. That sounds like writing to me.

Perhaps, to keep you from feeling like "nothing" is happening, you can become a reporter. Spend time with the kids, watching what they do and recording what they do. You would be amazed at how educational daily living is. I know I sound like an unschooler, but many things my kids have learned are self-taught. Pamela learned to draw by watching Blues Clues and taught herself Roman numerals, spurred by her interest in movie credits.