Thursday, September 06, 2007

Dear Complete Stranger:

** rant follows


Dear Complete Stranger,

This letter is to inform you that your comments to me at the library today were ill-timed at best, and completely rude at worst. Yes, I know it is strange to see an 11 year old boy screaming at the top of his lungs at the library, and sobbing hysterically. I am, however, used to this and had it under complete control. I do appreciate your concern and your attempt to assist us.

However, when I whispered to you that this child has autism, and I have it under control thank you... it would have been nice for you to take that as your clue to leave us alone so I could continue to use the techniques that are effective for this child. Instead, you decided to lecture me about autism and give me suggestions on the things that will 'make it all go away'. I'm sure a Calcium-Magnesium supplement from Shaklee products can be very effective for some people with autism spectrum disorders. However, you do not know me from the man in the moon. You don't know what we have tried and what we haven't. I did my best to thank you for your information, all the while still trying to determine what was going on with this nearly 5 foot tall child who is jumping up and down and sobbing. Yet, you continued to give me your .02 about what I should be doing differently. I am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were trying to be helpful. Years of experience with nosy strangers tells me otherwise.

So, in closing, Complete Stranger --- thanks for just making it worse. Could you not tell this child was trying to hide behind me when you were trying to force the ice into his hand? Maybe you don't understand that cold ice on the hand of an already freaked out child with sensory issues is not the best idea? And when this child is trying to duck and hide from you behind his mother, maybe next time you ought to just go away.

Sincerely,
Me.

P. S. It's 90 minutes later and he is fine, now that we are home and he has a bandage on the nearly non-existent 'boo boo'. I still don't know what happened to cause the ordeal.

3 comments:

The Glasers said...

Instead of autism cards, I think people ought to print out your letter to hand to ignorant, do-gooder bystanders. Haven't we all been there?

Alison said...

I'll leave my comment short.. Un freakin real..people need to butt the heck out!

LAA and Family said...

Wow, so sorry for all that you had to go through with that stranger!

At the end of your letter that you hand out, you should put your blog website. It would do them some good to know all the effort and work that is behind that one moment that they are observing!