Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Back from the Beach Blahs

I guess that's what you would call this? I miss the peace of the beach and the way I felt down there... worry free, maybe? I lasted a mere 48 hours of being at home before it slapped me in the face again!

Today we did math and reading with the big kids. I'm not comfortable letting those things go for the rest of the month. We're also doing a read-aloud from the Percy Jackson and the Olympian series. I am really enjoying these books, and they are sort of a cool preview for next year's trip through Ancient History and mythology! We're reading the 2nd book in the series, and the kids said today that it is getting very interesting!

I just watched to see what Austin would do with no TV or school work. For one thing, he was up before everyone searching his school desk for his assignment sheet. I told him there wasn't one, but handed him his math paper and said he could get working on that if he wanted to. He did, and he completed it. His new book to read is Shiloh, and I was afraid that the dialect would get in the way of his comprehension, so I got the book on CD from the library for him to listen and follow along in his copy. He understood about half of the chapter. The things that were inferred like the location of the town and the name of the narrator he totally missed.

Riley started her new book The Bears on Hemlock Mountain and finished it today. It's a short ready-for-chapters book so I knew she would finish it early. She was insulted by it's length, or lack thereof! However, she said, "Well, it IS an award winner, so I will at least give it a shot... but I prefer books like Harry Potter that have action and adventure!" She had a short, easy math lesson that took her 90 minutes, not because it was too hard or too much, but because she is the world's laziest child. OK, maybe not the world's laziest... there is a chance I am over-reacting. She is such a smart child! Why on earth must it be such a struggle?

That's what's so frustrating... my 'slow learner' is such a diligent worker and a relatively fast worker considering his underlying struggles. And my "bright learner" is so darn lazy and such a slowpoke.

Oops, I got distracted --- what did Austin do with his free time? He was jumping around the house while Riley was trying to concentrate so I suggested he take advantage of the cool morning weather we are having. He stayed outside about 30 minutes. Then he came back in and lay on the floor in the living room. I was busy with Reece at that time, so I couldn't really keep him engaged. That's another thing that is so frustrating: I cannot be 3 different people. I feel like there needs to be 3 of me to keep everyone getting exactly what they need.

Reece and I did a lesson from her Calvert K curriculum... a fun poem that she acted out while I read it several times. She then drew a picture of herself acting out her own part of the poem that she made up, and I wrote it across the top of the paper. She seemed to enjoy it good enough. Her free time was spent cutting paper and making the pieces she cut into houses. She glued them together and drew doors and windows. Riley had no free time because she took so long to do her math. :(

This afternoon will be a crazy busy one. Tuesdays usually are, but this one is especially nuts. Tomorrow will be a fun day because it's Talk Like a Pirate Day. We take it a step further and call it Pirate Day and devote ourselves to the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. This year we're going to watch the first 2 on DVD at home, and catch the last one at the dollar theater! Fun!! :)

There's a bunch more on my mind, but I'm just going to stop there for now. I don't want to sink back into the doldrums that I was in before our vacation, and my current line of thinking takes me straight down that path. I've got to move on! :)

1 comment:

lisaquing said...

I forgot it was Talk Like a Pirate Day! Argh!