Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Reading Lists 2007-2008

We skipped the pool today, which enabled me to get some serious work done on this coming school year (which is a mere 29 days away!). I was able to finalize the kids' reading lists. I am not totally thrilled with Riley's list, so I may have to add/remove some of the titles. And hey, if you have any suggestions for an 8 year old girl who inhales books rather than reads them, I would sure appreciate you leaving the title/author in the comments section of this blog! :)

So here are the reading lists:

AUSTIN- 5th Grade

Shiloh
The Sign of the Beaver
American Tall Tales
Call It Courage
Sing Down the Moon
Number the Stars

History books: when/if there is time
Om-Kas-Toe
Stone Fox
Noah Webster
True Stories of D-Day
The Trumpet of the Swan
The Black Pearl
The Great Turkey Walk
Shades of Gray
By the Great Horned Spoon
Thimble Summer
In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson
The Seventeenth Swap

RILEY - 3rd Grade

Ballet Shoes
The Secret Garden
Alice in Wonderland
A Little Princess
Lassie Come Home
Misty of Chincoteague
From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
Island of the Blue Dolphins
Smiling Hill Farm


History books:
A Lion to Guard Us
Phoebe the Spy
Meet George Washington
Ben Franklin of Old Philadelphia
Mr. Revere and I
The Bears on Hemlock Mountain
Meet Thomas Jefferson
Sarah Witcher's Story
Naya Nuki (Sacagawea's friend)
Turn Homeward, Hannalee
All of a Kind Family
Gone Away Lake
Plain Girl

6 comments:

The Glasers said...

Your list brings back memories of books we have loved, especially The Sign of the Beaver, The Trumpet of the Swan (don't see the movie), Thimble Summer, The Secret Garden,
Alice in Wonderland, A Little Princess, Lassie Come Home, The Bears on Hemlock Mountain, All of a Kind Family, Gone Away Lake (and other Elizabeth Enright books).

Now, concerning Riley, what genre of book does she enjoy?

Niffercoo said...

Hi Tammy! Currently, Riley is very big into Harry Potter, as the 5th movie and final book are due out this month. She's read all of the current 6 Harry Potter books, and is re-reading the 6th one now.

She has read all of the Betsy-Tacy books and all of the American Girl books. She read the first two "Little House" books and the first two "Nancy Drew" books, but didn't like either one enough to want to read further (or she is too young to appreciate them maybe?). She has listened to all of Narnia and all of the Little House books on CD(she just hasn't read them herself).

So she has a fairly eclectic taste! My experience with literature went as far as "Little House" and then I read junk after that like "Sweet Valley High". LOL What I would really like to find is another series similar to Betsy-Tacy: old-fashioned, following a little girl and her friends growing up and having adventures.

I'm glad to know that some of our picks for this year are favorites of yours! I haven't read any of them, except The Trumpet of the Swan, so I'm looking forward to experiencing them with the kids!

Hope you have a happy 4th of July!
Jen

lisaquing said...

Emailing you some series that meet your qualifications. I love the books mentioned by The Glasers as well! I am curious how does Gone Away Lake qualify as historical fiction, though?

Niffercoo said...

I got your list, Lisa! Thanks!

Austin's book list came from Calvert 5th grade and Sonlight 3+4. I don't know the first thing about Gone Away Lake, except that Sonlight recommends it as a reader for the one year American History! :)

Jen

poohder2005@yahoo.com said...

Hi, Jennifer, the book you mentioned called American Tall Tales under Austin's list, is that the book by Mary Pope Osborne?
thanks, I am inspired by your list and may use some of them too.
Rhonda

Niffercoo said...

Rhonda, it is not the Mary Pope Osborne version. It is this one: http://www.amazon.com/American-Tall-Tales-Puffin-Books/dp/0140309284 from Calvert's 5th grade program. A friend gave me the entire curriculum, used, so I have that as a free resource. But I love just about anything from Mary Pope Osborne, so I think if you wanted to use that one, it would work great! We are studying American History this year, and I think Austin's ready to tackle some tall tales! ;)
Jennifer