Sunday, December 17, 2006

Mini book review: Teach a Child to Read with Children's Books

I was able to finish this book on the ride to my MILs house yesterday. I was definitely worth the time, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I would love to try to implement this approach while teaching Reece to read! The main thing that concerns me is that it's a very intuitive program. It does have certain steps that are laid out as part of the program, and even includes masters for copying for record-keeping and planning purposes. But during each lesson you really have to be able to work on the fly! Also, it would require placing a good bit of trust in myself, which is something that I'm not altogether good at doing! But I think it might be worth considering some more, since I do have time until I would start with Reece. And there are alot of suggestions for things to do before the formal lessons would begin, that I do fully intend to start implementing after Christmas!

I highly recommend this book, even if you have already taught all of your crew to read! It was excellent information!

No comments: