Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Well, I signed on all gung-ho to blog, and now I haven't the foggiest idea what to blog about! LOL Let's see what's been going on at the Black Pearl Academy:

Grammar- Over the weekend, I purchased Easy Grammar for Austin. He was struggling so much with Rod & Staff that it just wasn't worth all the time we were spending on grammar anymore. R&S only gets harder, and I just couldn't see him ever really understanding and applying it. He's now into the 'memorizing the prepositions' part, which is fairly easy because he memorized them in 2nd grade for FLL. We just have to do a refresher course. Now, will he be able to understand what a prepositional phrase is, and be able to identify it in a sentence as to eliminate them? Well, that remains to be seen. If not? Then I think we'll be taking a break from formal grammar for a few years and see if he's ready for it when he's older.

Academics in General- Taking WAY longer every day that I would prefer. I'm not sure what can go, in order to make the day shorter and leave more time for reflection and spontaneity. Still working that out, but due to the way my children's brains work, it just may be that our days are long and there's nothing to change that. Riley is doing very well, still! Austin is struggling in some areas, but his attitude is generally much better than it has been previously. Reece is taking a break from formal academics right now.

Autim stuff- I went to a meeting of a support group in another county and enjoyed myself greatly. Their topic was "Working with Siblings of Children with Autism" and it was excellent. The speaker has a sibling with autism, so she was able to speak to us from the perspective of both a professional in the field of autism, and also as a NT sibling of an autistic individual. We're on the right track in how we deal with Riley and her needs, but we have a long way to go. She also gave me several really great ideas for the spectrum kids in our family. She emphasized how much the social functioning of an adult determines their success, not necessarily their academic performance (hmmm, whether they could master grammar in the 4th grade? LOL). So if my goals are fixed on academics, without regard to social functioning, I will not be doing my children justice. Side note: I did NOT agree with their training methods on working towards those social goals, but that's a topic for another blog.

That's about it for now! I can't believe it's nearly Thanksgiving already! Where has this year gone? It is flying by! Only 20 days until Dead Man's Chest comes out on DVD!

Look for my review of "Stranger Than Fiction" coming hopefully tonight! It's been ages since I've done any movie reviews! Well, it's hard to when I keep seeing POTC2 over again! :)

No comments: