Monday, October 30, 2006

Teaching Reepie to Read

Well, it's just not as easy at it was with Riley! Austin was so much older when I taught him to read (6 and had spent the year in public school K), so maybe this is just something that will come with maturity. Riley just learned to read so quickly and effortlessly. Also, now that I know about Reece's autism and having seen Austin struggle, I worry that this is just the beginning of the same sort of struggles that I have had with him.

In other words, as with so many other things, would I worry about this if she didn't have autism? Would I worry about this if her big sister hadn't been fluently reading at this age?

We've been doing reading "lessons" for 4-5 months now. She has known all of her letter sounds for about a year (she picked up the sounds during her articulation speech therapy). She quickly picked up on the concept of blending, but it doesn't seem to be progressing beyond that. She is very speedy with her blending, but she doesn't seem to be able to move forward with it. She still sounds out each letter and then says the word. She can see the same word twice in a row, and not recognize that it's the same. She'll start back over and sound each part out. I've tried to explain to her that she doesn't have to say 'b-a-t bat' but she doesn't get it. Today we did word families and she didn't see that the '-at' or the '-an' at the end of the word was the same... she sounded out each letter individually each time. I even showed her that it was the same letters at the end and it just didn't seem to get through to her.

I wish I knew if I should just drop it for awhile and try again when she's older. (She will be 5 in 4 months... yikes!!) Or if I should keep at it because of the fact that it might take her longer. Austin took so long to learn to read and it really held up what he was able to do for school. I always wish I could do it over again and start him younger, but now I wonder if that would have helped at all.

Is this just a maturity issue? Is there a processing problem related to her autism? Do I need to try something different? Do I need Calvert??? (Sorry, couldn't resist! LOL)

No comments: