Monday, October 30, 2006
In other words, as with so many other things, would I worry about this if she didn't have autism? Would I worry about this if her big sister hadn't been fluently reading at this age?
We've been doing reading "lessons" for 4-5 months now. She has known all of her letter sounds for about a year (she picked up the sounds during her articulation speech therapy). She quickly picked up on the concept of blending, but it doesn't seem to be progressing beyond that. She is very speedy with her blending, but she doesn't seem to be able to move forward with it. She still sounds out each letter and then says the word. She can see the same word twice in a row, and not recognize that it's the same. She'll start back over and sound each part out. I've tried to explain to her that she doesn't have to say 'b-a-t bat' but she doesn't get it. Today we did word families and she didn't see that the '-at' or the '-an' at the end of the word was the same... she sounded out each letter individually each time. I even showed her that it was the same letters at the end and it just didn't seem to get through to her.
I wish I knew if I should just drop it for awhile and try again when she's older. (She will be 5 in 4 months... yikes!!) Or if I should keep at it because of the fact that it might take her longer. Austin took so long to learn to read and it really held up what he was able to do for school. I always wish I could do it over again and start him younger, but now I wonder if that would have helped at all.
Is this just a maturity issue? Is there a processing problem related to her autism? Do I need to try something different? Do I need Calvert??? (Sorry, couldn't resist! LOL)
Thursday, October 19, 2006
This morning before I took Reece to preschool
What do your teeth usually look like?
Ugh. Crooked. I want braces.
What book do you like to read over and over?
The Well-trained Mind.. sick I know!
How many times do you crack your neck?
I don't do that!
What’s your favorite logo?
How many times have you been on an air plane?
Four times, round trips... so that makes 8 times on an airplane?
What were you wearing this day last week?
Oh gosh, we were going to Austin's ballgame so I am sure I was wearing a shirt and jeans.
When was the last time you ate peanut butter?
Yesterday, on the way home from the botanical gardens!
Do you like the Charlie and the chocolate factory with Johnny Depp?
What is your fav. Exercise?
I love the elliptical machine, and the weight machines.
Do you like this tag? (meme??)
It's not boring!
Ever considered living in a hobbit hole in new Zealand?
What are you obsessed with?
Me? Obsessed? Nothing really! I don't get easily obsessed! Honestly!
How many times a day do you check your e mail?
Alot... but I'm on DSL so it's fast!
Finish this sentence ''they are taking the...
Why did you answer it that way?
Too much Harry Potter
What is the first thing you think of in the morning?
I should have gone to bed earlier last night.
What is your fav. Super hero besides Jesus?
How do you like better- Jack Sparrow or Will Turner?
What are three of your future children’s names?
While there won't be future children, we do have some unused names:
Reagan (for a girl)
Logan (for a boy)
Trey (for a boy)
How would you describe your self?
Emotional, organized, not easily forgiving, curious
Pick a word you use most often.
Someone who will listen to me and not think I'm wrong for how I feel.
2. When shopping at the grocery store, do you return your cart?
Most of the time.
3. In a social setting, are you more of a talker or a listener?
If I know the folks I'm around, I'm definitely a talker.
4. Do you take compliments well?
Nope, I get embarrassed.
5. Are you an attractive person?
I used to be!
6. If abandoned alone in the wilderness, would you survive?
Not a chance!
7. Do you like to ride horses?
Nope, I'm terrified of horses.
8. Did you ever go to camp as a kid?
I went to band camp the summer between 9th and 10th grade.
9. What was your favorite game as a kid?
The Game of Life. I bought a new one to play with my kids and it's not nearly as fun.
10. If a hot person was pursuing you, but you knew he/she was married or in a relationship, would you get involved with him/her?
Not a chance.
11. Are you judgmental?
I used to be. But I try not to be so bad now. I've learned alot in this last year.
12. Could you date someone with different religious beliefs than you?
My first thought is no, but then I realize that I did do that when I met dh.
13. Do you like to pursue or be pursued?
Both, it depends.
14. Can you speak another language?
I used to be able to speak French quite well, but I haven't used it. Now with teaching the kids Spanish and Latin, I can't remember French much at all.
15. If you had to choose, would you rather be deaf or blind?
I think I'd rather be deaf. I wouldn't like to not be able to see my husband or children. And I could still communicate in sign language with them.
16. Do you know how to shoot a gun?
I've shot a gun before, but that's been 20 years ago.
17. If your house was on fire, what would be the first thing you grab?
The lock box with all of our important papers in it.
18. How often do you read books?
I shoot for daily!
19. Do you think more about the past, present or future?
I go back and forth between the future and the past. Mostly the future.
20. What is your favorite children's book?
21. What color are your eyes?
22. How tall are you?
23. Where is your dream house located?
St. George Island, FL
24. Last person you talked to?
25. Have you ever taken pictures in a photo booth?
26. When was the last time you were at Olive Garden?
Within the last year
27. What is on your keychain?
The keys to my house and van, key to my mother's house, a POTC keychain (medallion) that Jan got me on her first Disney trip, Kroger Plus card
28. Where was the furthest place you traveled today?
Reece's ballet and Reece's preschool
30. Do you like mustard?
31. Do you prefer to sleep or eat?
32. Do you look like your mom or dad?
33. How long does it take you in the shower?
34. Can you do splits?
I'm not sure I ever could!
35. What movie do you want to see right now?
POTC 3 ;)
36. Do you put lotion on your dog or cats?Lotion? On pets?
People do that?
37. What did you do for New Year's?
Watched POTC with the kids
38. Do you think The Grudge was scary?
I haven't seen it
39. What was the cause of your last accident?
I've never had an accident.
40. Do you own a camera phone?
Nope, don't want one either.
41. What are you drinking?
42. Was your mom a cheerleader?
No, but my mom's sister was.
43. What's the last letter of your middle name?
44. Who did you vote for on American Idol?
I don't watch it!
45. How many hours of sleep do you get a night?
46. Do you like Care Bears?
Yes, they are adorable!
47. What do you buy at the movies?
Nothing usually, but if I have the money and calories to spare, I'll get popcorn, Mr. Pibb, and chocolate.
48. Do you know how to play poker?
Yes! I learned how to on a video game when I was a kid.
49. Do you wear your seatbelt?
50. What do you wear to sleep?
In the summer, SS jammies and bottoms. In the winter, sweats, tshirt, sweatshirt, and socks!
51. Anything big ever happen in your hometown?
I'm not even sure what I consider to be my hometown! LOL
53. Is your tongue pierced?
54. Do you always read MySpace bulletins?
I only go to My Space to read Sadie's blog, which she hasn't updated in forever.
55. Do you like funny or serious people better?
Do I have to choose?
56. Ever been to LA?
57. Did you eat a cookie today?
58. Do you use cuss words in other languages?
Just the one that I learned from watching National Treasure
59. Do you steal or pay for your music downloads?
I always pay!
60. Do you hate chocolate?
Oh that's a terrible thing to ask! Of course not!
61. What do you and your parents fight about the most?
How much they spoil my children.
62. Is your cell usually on vibrate or ring?
63. Are you a gullible person?
I didn't used to think so.
64. Do you need a boyfriend/girlfriend to be happy?
Nope. But I wouldn't be happy without my husband.
65. If you could have any job (assuming you have the skills) what would it be?
66. Are you easy to get along with?
I don't think so.
67. What is your favorite time of day?
Rest time! LOL Just kidding! I like mornings when nobody has to go anywhere!
68. Who was the last person you held hands with?
69. What is the last tv show you watched?
A Designing Women rerun.
70. Do you want a new cell phone?
No, but I bet my husband does! LOL
Friday, October 13, 2006
After a fairly early lunch, we bundled up:
and went to the park! We have been going to this park for about 9 years, and we call it the "train park" because it's located across from a very busy train track. When you hear a train sound and the signal goes down, everyone from the park RUNS to see the train and wave to the engineer! It's great fun!
The kids played on the tire swing, ran around on the playground equipment, and enjoyed the sounds and sights of TWO trains passing by! They made new friends of a couple of families who happened to be at the park on this chilly fall day!
It was a nice fall Fun Friday! :)
Tuesday, October 10, 2006
5 weird things about me (Some of you at this point are wondering how I'm going to keep it to five!):
1. When I get gasoline for the van, I pull all the way forward to the last pump in the row. So people can pull in behind me. Anyone who doesn't is wrong.
2. I'm very particular about my day planner. I keep it in pencil. And if we change plans I'll erase it. If we do something that wasn't planned, I go back and write it in. In pencil.
3. I freeze up when entering a group of people I don't know if I'm all alone. I just can't make any words come out of my mouth. Once I'm comfortable, then I can't STOP talking, and will usually stick my foot in my mouth.
4. I don't like any of my food to touch each other, unless I make it that way on purpose!
5. I don't like my hair to be touched. Makes it really hard to get a hair cut! LOL
Ok, I'm tagging anyone who may read this! Comment and leave a link so I know where to find your replies!
Monday, October 09, 2006
I also cannot believe how creative she got with the playdoh today! She 'designed' a park! I wish I had thought to take a picture of it! It had a little slide, and some swings, and an area with baby swings. (I had to take her word for it... all I could really make out were the baby swings! lol)
Then she said, "Oh wait! I forgot one thing!" She worked a bit longer then said, "That's better! Ant hills! Now the park is complete!"
She sure knows what she's talking about... the parks in GA really DO have ant hills all over the place! ;)
Sunday, October 08, 2006
Aren't those a cute group of little birdies?! This is a picture from our field trip to the zoo last Friday! It was a perfect day for an outing! And it was the baby panda's one month birthday! We saw the gorillas being fed. We saw the lions, tigers, and leopards (oh my!) napping! And we rode the train around the zoo! :) It would have been perfect, except for the 2.5 hour commute home in Atlanta traffic. We only live less than 40 miles from the zoo. Apparently rush hour hit early last Friday! ACK!