Thursday, August 10, 2006

Better school day today

It wasn't "The hills are alive with the sound of music" good, but it also wasn't "Mama said knock you out" bad either! ;)

We are consistently getting up on time, and getting our chores and things done on time, so we can start school on time. I am a little concerned that the reading/math/grammar combo is taking us so long. I do include a recess/snack break in there, so I need to keep that in mind. The scheduled break eliminates the need for all people under the age of 11 to start asking "Can I have a break?" and/or "Can I have a snack?" starting around 9 AM. I feel like the kids need the recess/snack break and I can't wait for it to be cooler so they can play outside during that time! But still, I'm a little nervous about how long our day might be since we haven't added in spelling, Bible, History, or Science yet! LOL

Which brings me to my next topic: there very well may not be history or science at all at the Black Pearl Academy this year! Unfortunately, Adventures in my Father's World is not what I consider a 2nd/3rd grade curriculum, as they advertise it to be. Perhaps 1st grade? Definitely not what I want for my 2nd grader, and I couldn't call this 4th grade in my wildest dreams. So now I'm faced with choices. And all of my friends and regular readers should know by now that I'm fantastic with making choices, especially curriculum choices. Most of my closet friends refer to me as "decisive and confident"! ROFL Ok, enough of the joking.

Here are my options:
1. Add something to Adventures. They only use segments of the main text book, so I could read it all to the kids. It's a 5th grade book for Christian Liberty Press. That would require planning. But my brain was ready to do American History this year, in preparation for returning to the classical 4 year cycle next year.

2. Do CHOW (Sonlight Core 1+2) which is what I was planning to do before the money for Adventures turned up. Feels weird to spend a year on world history to turn around and do world history again next year. But maybe I could do Sonlight's 1 year of American History after that, then return to a rotation?

3. Don't do science or history this year and just say that I am tired of making decisions and not knowing if they are good ones or not? ;)

I need to decide by Monday... I am planning to begin history on Tuesday. Science... well, I am fully prepared to wait to add that until September while I figure out what to do! I'm leaning towards the Science in a Nutshell kits, as they come highly recommended!

So there you go! It's time to eat lunch now! :)

No comments: