Saturday, June 10, 2006

A sign?

Ok, 3 times now in the last month, the children have pulled little bits from our history study out of their heads and inserted it into our present day lives. The most recent example was Austin. He was rambling on about cars and engines and I was half-listening like I usually do (please don't tell him I said that! lol). But then he announced that when he grows up and has his own car company it will be called "Mideyoshi". OK, that got my attention! ;) I asked him where they name came from. He said "It's like Hideyoshi, you know, that Japanese emperor that we learned about in history?" Ahh, yes, of course!

There have been other things as well, but I just can't recall them off the top of my head right now! But it's something I've been wanting... a sign that they are really understanding what we're talking about in history! A sign that this way of doing history is, in fact, productive and worth seeing though! A way of knowing that I'm on the right track!

Can you picture 35 year old Austin, announcing his new car company: "Yes, I came up with the name while I was in the 3rd grade. We were homeschooled by my saint of a mother, and that year we learned about Japan in the 1400s! The name stuck in my head!"? Hee hee! Well, you never know!

No comments: