Saturday, June 03, 2006

End of the School Year reflections

This was quite a school year, emotionally. I would like to thank Calvert for getting us through! I appreciate the expensive, yet, thorough education my children got thanks to you. Well, Austin anyway... Riley pretty much breezed through it! LOL You were there when I needed you and for that, I will be grateful! (OK, now I'm cracking up!)

Here are some end-of-the-school-year thoughts:

1. I'm glad this school year is over. I am anxious to start fresh in August.

2. I am going to start forcing Austin to get some independence going. He is going to have to be taught a lesson, and then work the assignment on his own without input from me. I think it's time, and with advance preparation, he can see it as a sign of growing up.

3. I think this has been the hardest year of my life. I thought nursing was hard. That was a cake-walk.

4. I need to challenge Riley more. She is smart and capable, but extremely lazy when it comes to school! But by challenge, I don't mean just to keep advancing her to harder work. I mean to have her think about things, and talk to me about things, and start writing things down. Academics come easy to her... so I have more time to go deeper with her.

5. I need to come to the realization once and for all that there is no guarantee that everything will be OK. There is no magic curriculum that will ensure my childrens' success in life. There is nothing that I can do that will guarantee that they will be prepared for life. I can just do my best. I can just pick what I think will work, and what I like, and what I can afford. I can pray that God will guide me and bless my efforts. But I've got to stop trying to be perfect in this. My perfectionism has frozen me before many times in my life. I need to move beyond it for once.

I think that's about all for now. Can you tell I was in the car alone today and able to think deep thoughts? :)

No comments: