Sunday, April 23, 2006

New reading approach

Tomorrow I'm going to try something a little different with the kids' reading! Actually, this is more for Austin's benefit than Riley's! Riley loves to read and spends some of her free time reading, especially before bed.

Instead of assigning books, chapters, or pages, Austin and Riley will have a book basket. They will have a minimum number of minutes to read, but they can choose any book that is in the book basket.

This requires alot of restraint on my part. In fact, I nearly chickened-out tonight! LOL I have a strong desire to have Austin moving forward in reading, but he still doesn't like to read, and he never chooses to do it. And lately, even during his free reading, he is picking a non-fiction book and just looking at the pictures. His favorites are the DK Eyewitness books that discuss one topic per book... like Cars, Baseball, Hurricanes & Tornadoes, Airplanes.

Anyway, I'm hoping he will find some satisfaction in choosing some of his own books, from a selection that I've laid out. And I hope that he will progress into finding books that he wants to add to the book basket... and one day, maybe just picking up a book to read for no reason! :)

I'll keep you posted on how it goes!

No comments: