Saturday, April 29, 2006

Catching up... and only 5 more days until Convention!!!

I can't believe how busy it has been here at the Black Pearl Academy! I've barely had time to dwell on the convention coming up in less than a week! I need to finalize plans, finish and print out spreadsheets, and shop for some cute new jammies! :)

One big thing I've been waiting on will be here in just a couple of days: getting Austin's results from the Neuropsych Evaluation he had done in March! It seems like forever since that testing was done and I am really anxious to find out what the results show! I'm hoping it will give me a bit of a clue into how his brain works, and what sort of things I need to line up for next year! I have that appointment on Tuesday afternoon! My husband will have the children!

Now, on to the latest goings on...

The new approach to reading seems to be going well! Austin read nearly 3 books last week about our history topic, and he read a good bit of Smiling Hill Farm (the last Calvert 3rd grade book, which both he and I have enjoyed immensely!). Riley chose to tackle a picture book version of Don Quixote, as well as a book that's part of a series called "Brave Kids". (I got the title from Sonlight's reading lists) We'll see if this becomes part of our school on a permanent basis!

History is also going well. It's amazing to me how much more smoothly SOTW Vol. 3 is going now that everyone is a bit older! We seem to be able to discuss things without there being a major blowup of "But I was going to say that!"

Math is going well, also! Riley will finish her math the week after next, and I'll have her work through the Singapore Challenging Math Problems book. She is very excited because, as she says, "I LOVE Math Problems!" Austin will work in his book through the rest of the summer, and I plan to just start the 4th grade book in August when our new year starts. I have looked at most of the remaining lessons, chosen the ones I feel are the most important, and we'll skip the rest! Riley will start 2nd grade math in August as well.

Riley is nearly finished with her Explode the Code book and with First Language Lessons. She will do the last two ETC books next year, as well as finishing the FLL book. I really hope the next volume of FLL is ready in time for her 3rd grade year! Austin's almost done with the review of FLL that I've written up for him, and I'm not sure what to do next for him. I guess we'll just drop it until the fall, when I plan to use Rod and Staff English with him. He resumed Sequential Spelling, modified for his perfectionism. We'll continue that next year. (I probably should add this is all contingent upon getting his results back... there may be some clue about something that I should focus on instead, or teach differently).

Science has fallen by the wayside, except for informal nature study! But we sure are enjoying watching Georgia bloom into Spring! :) I'm leaning towards My World Science for next year!

I still want to tackle Latin next year, but again, we'll have to make sure that is a good idea with the other things that Austin might need instead.

I've got a plan for picture study and music (composers) for next year, but I would like to find some resources for the lives of the composers and artists we plan to study!

As far as History next year... I still am torn between SOTW/WTM and Sonlight. Sonlight just seems so much easier since it is all planned out and coordinated. And it gives the focus on American History that my husband insists upon. But it is much more expensive. I know I can reuse it later... so that does help! The hardest part of making this decision is what I'm going to have to give up by making the choice. Either way will be a really good option. But it means I have to say no to something else! :) I've never been good at these sort of decisions! I want to have my cake and eat it too!

Stay tuned this week for more "Pre Convention Rambling"!! I'll also post Austin's test results when I get them on Tuesday!

No comments: