Monday, March 13, 2006

Multiplication and more

Austin started learning about multiplication today via Math U See Gamma. He was a little uneasy about the change, but when the DVD started he was relieved to see that Mr. Demme was going to be talking about something Austin already knew! We had just been learning about the area of a rectangle in our Calvert Math lessons, so that was familiar. However, they hadn't introduced the concept of multiplication... instead you just counted the squares inside the rectangle. So Austin was more confident about this lesson... we watched the DVD, did a worksheet, he explained it back to me and took the first test and scored a 100%! We'll move on to the next lesson which is multiplying by 0 and 1 and I expect this will also be a one day lesson! I don't expect much trouble with the multiplication facts until we get into the bigger numbers.

Riley only has about 25 lessons left of Calvert 1st grade math. If I have it timed correctly, she should finish right about the time of the convention, so I shouldn't need to order anything for her. If she should finish earlier (she's been doing 2 of these measurement lessons a day because they are so simple), then I'll work on subtraction facts with her! She's got a great command of the addition facts, but her recall of subtraction is a little slower. I remember the same thing with Austin, so I am not worried about it, but it's something we can work on if I need to. I also have the Singapore Challenging Word Problems level 1 book that we can work through to fill in the time! We may do that anyway... I was looking at it (and level 2) over the weekend and I just LOVE those word problems! Each one is like a fun little puzzle! :)

I just love math! LOL

No comments: