Thursday, February 16, 2006

Art Museum

Well, it was surely interesting! Let me just say that I'm glad I didn't spend $5 per person to get in! The big kids and I went today to the county art museum (not one of the big art museums in Atlanta) because we had the free pass that the library is offering for check out!

The main attraction was a new exhibit of Picasso's ceramics. I didn't realize he spent so much time doing ceramics! Anyway, I went to the library and checked out CHILDREN'S books on Picasso. I had to put them up and not show the kids. Anyone care to educate me on the value of the art of the naked breast? (Oh those two words are bound to get me some interesting visitors! LOL)Anyway, I just made sure the kids knew that Picasso was an artist born in Spain! I just didn't want them walking in and saying "Who's Picasso???" ;)

Then we went over to the "Children's Art Museum" section. I was very disappointed. It looked neat upon first glance, but once I got to walk around a bit I was quickly disheartened. There was a room to paint (and the kids loved it! Wish I'd had my camera!) Each of them painted a great picture and then named the picture and signed it... so apparently they took something away from the Picasso exhibit! There was another table that had some cut designs that they could make prints on. And then another table had coloring sheets printed from "funschool.com" or something like that! There were also 2 computers for "techno art" and an area with instruments for "musical art" and some dress up clothes for an area called "dramatic art". There was also a room with a TV and books and puzzles. Oh there was a big piano thing on the floor (think the movie "Big") but half the notes didn't work.

Well, the main point is the children had alot of fun, especially Austin who complained all week that he didn't like art museums! But I'm sure glad I didn't have to pay $15! The kids are already asking when we can go back, so I guess I'll have to put this pass on hold again and take them another time!

No comments: