Thursday, November 03, 2005

On math tests and similes

Austin* had his 2nd math test today! He had a harder time with this one and ended up with an 82, which is a B minus according to my grading schedule. Not too bad, I suppose. Two of the mistakes were in not following the directions, and the other mistakes were from that darn regrouping with addition. If there are two regroupings, it just throws him off. We are back to regrouping with subtraction tomorrow. I hope my heart can take it! LOL Knowing what I know now about him probably being a visual, concrete learner (because of being on the autism spectrum), I may be placing him in Math U See when we are ready to tackle multiplication! I have a few more months to decide.

I'm proud of myself for a few things I've handled well with school this last week or so. On Monday, the lesson in Calvert was about similies. Now, I had just read in a book a few days prior, that children with autism have a hard time understanding similes and metaphors. Any part of language that is not concrete and literal. And in my own observations of Austin, I had known this to be true. So when the assignment was to have the child do pages X and Y independently, I knew that would be an exercize in frustration! So we did them together, and he didn't 'get' them. I told him he would eventually memorize what they mean, and come to understand what people are trying to say when they are using them!

Now, for those of you reading and wondering what on earth is the 'big' deal, just bear with me! In the past when things didn't work with Austin, I worried about what was wrong with Austin. I didn't consider that the method of instruction didn't connect with him. Or that he could need more time. I worried about conforming Austin to the curriculum. And that's a mistake! I've still got a long way to go, but now I'm trying to be more deliberate about finding out what will work for HIM.

*Yeah, I'm tired of the nicknames, too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so what does this have to do with ma similies again?????

Anonymous said...

i tottaly get u!! u r a person who is somebody who understands that kind of stuff! so yeah for me!!!")