Monday, November 21, 2005

Movie Review: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

I should preface this post by saying that I am very new to the entire "Harry Potter" phenomenon. My mother has been encouraging me to read them to Austin for years now, and I have always said no. I really shyed away from them because of the huge outpouring of condemnation from the Christian community. But my mom is what I refer to as a "seeker" (no, she doesn't play Quidditch!). She is a person who knows about God and Jesus and is open to learning more, but has not professed that Jesus is her personal Savior. She has very negative feelings about 'the Church' in general. Mom finally got around to reading the HP books over the summer, and really loved them, and again encouraged me to read them to Austin. I told her that I would read them myself first. She lent me #1 and #2 to take on our vacation in September and I was hooked! I am currently reading #5. And in the last 10 days I've rented the first 3 movies, so I would be prepared to see Goblet in the theaters.

I really did enjoy this movie! There was alot that had to be left out, of course, because the book was so indepth and long. But overall I found it to be very, very good! I will go back to see it again as soon as I can, just to catch things that I missed the first time! :)

Pros: These 3 kids who play the main characters of Harry, Ron, and Hermione are just fantastic! The movie in general has some wonderful special effects, and the Yule Ball was beautiful! The movie did a really good job of showing the awkwardness of young teenagers, especially the boys, when it comes to the opposite sex! That was charming! I laughed at many scenes, as did the rest of the audience! I also cried in a few places! :)

Cons: I don't care for this particular Dumbledore (the actor). Or maybe it was the writers fault. But he did a couple of very 'non-Dumbledore-ish' things, and it irked me. Also, Ron has such a foul mouth! It's just not necessary. The movie just seemed to fly by from scene to scene too, because there was so much action to get in. I found myself wishing there would be an "Extended Edition" like there was for the LOTR movies! LOL

Overall it was very good! Because it is PG-13 I'm not sure if I can recommend it for younger children. However, if they have read the book (and the previous books) then they really should know what is coming. Yet, sometimes it's harder to see things on the screen than it is to read it. You really will have to know your child! I think if they can handle LOTR or Star Wars, they could handle this one.

I give it a 3.5 or maybe a 4 on the Savvy Scale.

1 comment:

Barbie said...

I am SOOO jealous!! I want to see the movie so bad but dh and I have had opposite schedules and I don't want to bring the kids. I love Harry Potter:-P