Saturday, October 01, 2005

Homeschooling and Autistic Spectrum

I highly recommend that if you are within the first 24 hours of a diagnosis of "autistic spectrum disorder" that you refrain from Googling the words in the title of this post. Especially with the "and" in the middle.

Peanut yesterday was diagnosed with austistic spectrum disorder. In the process of the evaluation process, and with the doctor asking questions about siblings, it also became apparent that Bubba is on that spectrum as well. It wasn't a big surprise. After all, I initiated the whole evaluation process because I suspected this very thing.

I've been doing alot of reading, and trying to do some posting of questions about homeschooling and the autistic spectrum and I'm frustrated with what I'm getting. Right now, I am not interested in hearing about public school programs. I KNOW they are out there. I KNOW they are free. What I want to talk to folks about is HOMESCHOOLING and autism. Why oh WHY do I get the same answer when I ask on Special Needs Homeschooling boards? "The public school programs really aren't all that bad." Ok, that's not what I'm asking!! I am asking about Homeschooling and DUH, since I'm on a HOMESCHOOLING board I thought maybe there was someone out there who actually homeschools a child with these needs!?!?!

OK, the use of DUH up there is probably not going to win me any 'blogger of the month' awards. Not like I'm in the running anyway, so back to my rant....

I do not want to send my children to public school. Bubba has 'been there, done that'! It wasn't fun, for me anyway. I know a lady who is a parapro in the older grades for an autism class and while this lady is super and I know she enjoys what she does, the stories she tells me are just not what I have in mind for my children.

OK, here is the disclaimer: I'm sure public school and even autism classes within the public school are a wonderful option for many people out there, even devoted homeschoolers. Yadda yadda yadda.

I am a homeschooler. And apparently, today I'm cranky.

No comments: