Saturday, September 03, 2005

First Month Reflections

OK, now that I have a minute to sit down, I can reflect on our first month of school! What I learned is that I should never again take a two month long summer break! :) It was necessary this summer, but we just can't do that again! Also, I really like the 4 day week this year, rather than schooling 5 days and taking a whole week off every 4-6 weeks!

First, reflecting on Princess: I have to admit I majorly screwed up in selecting Calvert 1st grade for her! I had no idea she is such a strong reader! I thought the reading would be a 'little bit' easy but not insultingly so! I am just stunned! It's completely my fault, though. I knew I hadn't given her the academic attention she deserved, so I should expect that I wouldn't be aware of her capabilities. She will finish her Calvert readers this coming week (she could have last week but I need a few extra days to organize an order for the Sonlight readers she will attack next, and we'll get to that after our vacation!). The math will do, since I found the new place for her to start. She'll finish the intro to addtion this week and pick up subtraction when we return from vacation. She really enjoys the science and history so I'll continue that! We'll start in with cursive sometime in January! Her printing has really come along nicely!

Now, reflecting on Bubba: He isn't doing too bad, really, for someone who completely shut off his brain for the summer! ;) He continues to struggle pulling information from materials he listens to or reads, so I am pursuing some testing for him. I'm going to start with auditory processing testing, since his teacher back in public school K 4 years ago mentioned that to me, but he was too young to be tested for it. After that, I'm not sure. In the meantime, I'm going to work diligently with him on how to find/listen for information in a passage. He will also start the Reading Detective Beginnings book. He's doing great with composition and I'm having him write narrations for the Calvert stories rather than having him write out the answers to the questions found in the text, like the Calvert lessons suggest. The Spelling CD isn't going over very well. He is missing alot of words and because he is such a perfectionist, it is extremely discouraging to him. I'm pondering my options. Math is going well! I can honestly say he learned something new this week in math! ;) He also enjoys science and history and mythology, but like I mentioned earlier, he is having a hard time with comprehension.

And finally, reflecting on Peanut: she's definitely not ready for formal academic work, beyond what we're doing for her speech. She likes to 'play preschool' either at the table or with her sister, but she's not ready like Princess was at this age for the Explode the Code primers. She has alot of developmental ground to cover first, and I will try not to worry if she doesn't start the primers until Kindergarten. But honestly, I'd be happier for her to start next fall for Pre-K. We'll just have to see how she grows over this next year. She's done very well this last month, playing while we're doing school. She loves the playdoh and Color Wonder the best, and I had to restock the Color Wonder paper and get new playdoh. (She mixes all the colors together and it just makes me crazy... but she likes it!). I think she is finally getting used to all of her new activities (AWANA and therapy), just in time to start gymnastics next Friday! lol

I think we had a very good first month of school, overall! We have a short week this coming week, with daddy home Monday and a swimming playdate scheduled for Tuesday. We'll be taking a week off next week to go to the beach, but I have a beach unit that we'll do while we're down there. It's really not anything terribly involved, though so they likely won't even know we're doing anything at all! I'm looking so forward to this vacation!!! :)

No comments: