Friday, June 03, 2005

Memory Lane

I took a walk down memory lane this week and it wasn't a pleasant experience. I was looking at Bubba's school notebooks from the previous 2 years. I'm disgusted in our lack of progress. It seems that the year he made the most progress was the year (more like 6 months) we used Calvert. :(

I know my own faults quite well. The biggest one with school is that I just don't know how much to push. I don't know what to expect of the kids. I don't know what to demand from the kids. That's why I miss Calvert! That lesson manual gave us a method for progress. I didn't have to try to decide if he should copy 3 sentences or 5. I followed the plans and the progress happened.

I am really upset with myself over Bubba's lack of progress. This cannot continue. It's not fair to him at all. I don't really know what to do. It would certainly be easy to sell what I have for next year and order Calvert 3rd. It's very, very tempting! I think if we had the money, I would do it in a heartbeat. But it isn't that simple.

I'm going to try to make up a plan on my own, with the help of the Well-Trained Mind book. If I can't get a good grasp on what needs to be done this coming year, then I may have to order Calvert for Bubba.

No comments: