Thursday, June 23, 2005

The Black Pearl Mini-Gym?

It appears that I will be opening this up within the next week or so! Peanut's OT has set her up a system of exersizes to be done twice a day for 30 minutes each time. I am in the market, as it were, for a mini-trampoline, an exersize ball, and some other 'stuff'. We are still new to this and it's a bit tricky to figure out timing and what activities of the ones she showed me that we will do. But she said to have patience, and as we get more used to doing the therapy, our home program will have more of a flow to it. I was amazed at the difference in my Peanut yesterday afternoon after I did our first run at it... but we only made it 20 minutes or so before I ran out of ideas. This is definitely something that's going to require some advance planning on my part. I'm thinking maybe a checklist or something. I have on hold a book from the library called "The Out of Sync Child Has Fun" which is supposed to contain lots of the sorts of activities that will help her. I can't wait for it to come in! And for our next OT appt, I'm taking a notepad to help me remember all the stuff she is telling me and showing me!

I'm doing better today than yesterday. I was so overwhelmed at the thought of having to get this done with Peanut twice daily, plus her speech therapy time, plus schooling the big kids, plus housework, plus cooking. I'm still overwhelmed, but holding it together better than yesterday. I haven't had my night out this week yet, which I know isn't helping. I'm also really leaning towards using Calvert for the big kids next year to relieve some of the daily planning from our school routine. Right now, I cannot see how I will be able to plan everything out myself.

One more very interesting thing before I head for bed... I used one of the techniques the OT showed me for Peanut on Bubba last night. It's a deep pressure massage and I used a tennis ball on his back. It's to help them get settled in for bed. Within 5 minutes after I was done, he was asleep! That's just amazing! It usually takes upwards of 2 hours for him to fall asleep! I'm anxious to try again tomorrow night! (He and Daddy are at the Braves game tonight!). I hope it wasn't just a fluke!

Just about time for this head to hit the bed!

No comments: