Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Unusual results?

You know, I am never surprised when my kids produce unusual results! Or I try not to be, anyway! But sometimes still, it catches me off guard!

Peanut had her speech therapy evaluation this afternoon and it went very well! She took to the Speech Therapist immediately! In fact, I didn't even have to go back with her! That was a big victory right there!

After the evaluation we discussed the results, which she started off by saying were 'quite unusual'. She did 2 tests... one was a language test and one was a speech test. On the language test, she scored a 3.4 and a 3.9. ST said that she thinks the 3.4 could have been higher, but she was so busy talking about the pictures she wasn't answering the questions. Big surprise! So overall, her language is average to slightly above. She will be 3 years, 3 months next week.

Now, the speech test was something different altogether! She has very few sounds she can do correctly at all. And to make it even more unusual, the sounds that she DOES have aren't typical. Like she has a 'k' sound but not a more common 'r' or something like that! And she also has a lisp. The ST believes it's a result of the long-term nursing, followed by the pacifier use. I doubt it but I'm not gonna argue the point. We'll just get it taken care of!

The ST was just perplexed by the discrepancy between the higher language scores and the inability to reproduce the sounds. I'm not surprised! It's always something unusual with my kids! :)

So we will start Speech Therapy a week from Monday! We have to pay out of pocket... can you say OUCH? I'm going to have to tweak the budget and see where I can find any extra money! But I will do whatever it takes to get Peanut what she needs! The ST couldn't say if she would grow out of it on her own, and with the lisp I'm not sure I want to try. It could be very fast that she can fix these sounds. I surely will be looking for some sort of results within a few months!

Next evaluation is Occupational Therapy in a week and a half!

3 comments:

Carrie said...

I wanted to pass on some info -- I used a book called "Help Me Talk Right -- How to Cure Your Child's Lisp" with my son and it took about five months and his lisp was gone. It is written by speech therapists. They also have books on how to say the "r" and "l" sound. Of course, this might not help if those aren't the sounds your daughter has trouble with. Just thought I'd let you know. I know how expensive speech therapy can be!

Carrie said...

Hope I didn't sound nosy in my comment -- I sometimes offer advice when none was really asked for, so please feel free to tell me to mind my own business!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.