Saturday, April 16, 2005

Some time off

I know I've been quiet this week, at least on my blog! My husband was working an extra gig this week to help pay for the big vacation we want to take in the fall to the beach, so I was a single parent all week long! It was rough, but I'm glad to say we all survived intact! We ate out way too much, but that's OK! I survived taking Reece to AWANA with us, taking Reece to Austin's ballgame that started after bedtime, and taking Reece to baseball practice.

Today I got a few hours alone before Russ left for the last day of the gig, and went to Borders for Educator Appreciation Day! I was using my giftcard from the Discover Card Cashback Bonus and ended up buying some fun books for the kids, rather than getting more school books. They weren't too terribly excited, but I'm not surprised since they aren't really enthusiastic readers.

Wow, not a bunch of exclamation points today... yeah, not doing very well. I am taking some time off next week from the computer. I have been feeling this coming for quite some time, the need to be off the internet completely. I need to do it now! Starting Monday morning at 12:01 am I will be offline for 7 full days. I stopped at the library and got some books to read, books that have nothing to do with homeschooling or child-rearing!

I got The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom (don't know how to underline on this thing!), The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum, and The Taking by Dean Koontz. OK, so the last 2 aren't truly "literature" but they look very good. I love the Bourne movies, so I want to see how the books differ. I haven't read Koontz since college, so I'm anxious to see if he is as good as I remember. And The Hiding Place is from the infamous booklist that sent me tumbling into a fit of inferiority complex. I'm not much of a girly-romance-book reader, so I am starting back off with the familiar: mysteries, action-adventure! I would have gotten another book by the author of The Hunt for Red October and Patriot Games, but I couldn't recall his name at the library and I had to leave to get back home.

I don't really have 'goals' for my week off the internet. But it just needs to be done!

See you on the flipside!

2 comments:

LisaQuing said...

I am jealous! I didn't get to go to Borders at all. And you get to READ! Read BOOKS!

Actually I have been making more time to read lately too. It makes me feel more "ME", if that makes sense.

I will MISS YOU TERRIBLY next week. TM me or even call me on the REAL PHONE. I don't care about background noises; we have plenty of those here.

Enjoy your time of recharging and we will see you SOON!

LisaQuing said...

JENNIFER!!!!!!!

I AM MISSING YOU TERRIBLY!!!!!

CAN'T WAIT TIL YOU COME BACK!!!

Sad little Lisa