Saturday, April 09, 2005

Are you well-read?

I always assumed I was.

Then I started homeschooling! :)

Despite being an avid reader in school, and being an Early-Childhood Education major... I am just not very well-read!! I have to admit that any book that was assigned by a teacher got a real blow-off from me, so the fault lies with me. Add to the fact that most of my teenage years were spent reading Sweet Valley High, VC Andrews, and Danielle Steele... not exactly great literature.

But I want my kids to be well-read!! How do I do that when there are oodles of books out there that I've never even heard of?! Reading lists, you say?

Do you know how many reading lists there are in the homeschooling world? Too many! And sometimes one book will be in 3rd grade on one list, 5th grade on another list, 2nd grade as a read-aloud on another list!! ACK!!!!

So now I go about the task of compiling my favorite lists into one master list!! My brain is completely fried and I'm not even close to being done. And I'm getting so frustrated. I just want the best for my kids. I want them to be well-read! Why does this have to be so complicated??

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Sounds kinda like me. I read lots...all the time... usually had 3-4 books going at once..... but I am not 'well-read'. I stuck with Sci-Fi and would often read the same books over and over. And I, too, blew off the bookreport books,LOL. (still got an A in my English classes, not sure how)