Friday, February 25, 2005

Movie Review: Constantine

I was a bit distracted while viewing Constantine last night! Some lovely family of rednecks thought it a jolly idea to make this Rated R, Heaven and Hell movie a family event! They brought mom, dad, teenage boy, grandma, and a little boy who appeared to be three-and-a-half to four years old. I would say he was more like three-and-a-half because he still threw temper tantrums when he didn't get what he wanted. Do people not have common sense anymore? Who in their right minds would bring a little bitty boy to a movie like this?

Of course, what was even more disturbing to me, was that this little boy wasn't even scared. Just the music alone was creepy, yet this little boy didn't flinch. And at the end he cheered a couple of times. He was obviously used to seeing these sort of things before. How sad!

Ok, now to my review! I'm not a huge Keanu Reeves fan, but this was a pretty good movie! The plot line was sort of hard to follow and I couldn't understand everything that was being said. The computer graphics were good and weren't distracting!

I also thought Gavin Rossdale, as Balthazar, was one of the best characters in the whole movie! He was scary, and alluring, and evil! I thought the Gabriel character was disturbing, but mostly because of how it conflicted with my view of the Biblical Gabriel. I noticed that the actress who played Gabriel (Tilda Swinton) is going to be playing the Witch Jadis in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Now that I've seen her in Constantine, I'm anxious to see her as Jadis! I think she'll be fantastic!

Pros: Keanu really acted this part to a "T"! Especially right before the bathtub scene, he nailed it! The relationship of the sisters was compelling, and I really cared about the sister left behind!

Cons: The teenage boy's character seemed sort of fragmented. I'm not sure if they ran out of time, but it was sort of like he was there, then he wasn't, then all of a sudden he's playing an integral part. The theology was way off, but this is a movie after all!

I give this movie a 2.5 on the Savvy scale!

No comments: