Thursday, February 17, 2005

From the Copywork of babes...

One of the most important lessons I've learned (all right, that I'm learning!) as a parent is not to take things that my kids say and do personally! This is especially important when referring to my beloved middle child!

Yesterday, her copywork assignment was one sentence: School is fun! All she had to do was copy that sentence underneath my example! I wasn't sitting right with her while she was copying, because Reece was having a hard day yesterday. So when Riley finished her copywork, she brought it to me to look over!

She had crossed out the 'is' and wrote 'not' instead. Aaaah, what a girl!! I said "You left off the exclamation point at the end." Her reply was priceless! "Mom, exclamation points are for when you are excited about something, and I do not get excited about school."

At the time, my teacher-mama feelings were hurt. But a new day brings with it a measure of perspective! My almost 6 year old knows what an exclamation point is for! And she can spell 'not' without asking for help! She's a smart little thing!

I would love for school to be fun for her! I'm just not sure that's going to happen! She doesn't take very kindly to being told what to do and how to do it! I remember her first day of real homeschooling when she was 4.5! I asked her to draw a picture of herself swinging and what she saw, and she said "But I don't WANT to draw that!" (At the time that threw me for a loop, because that was the assignment in the curriculum I was using! LOL)

Hmmmm, I wonder if Dobson would consider her to be a "Strong-Willed Child"? LOL

No comments: