Monday, January 17, 2005

I LOVE Mondays!

I am probably the only person on the planet who does, but that's OK! I just love Mondays! I'm fresh, ready to take on the week! I have a fresh set of lesson plans, and the dream that they are all going to get done like I plan them! We have had a couple of days off from school! Monday, it carries with it such potential!

Today was no exception! After the disaster that was last week, I planned to start this week off at a walk rather than a gallup! I woke up around 7:30 and just sat in bed waiting for the first child to come get me. Amazingly enough, the place was quiet! Princess walked in shortly after that and asked what was for breakfast! "Cinnamon Rolls," I exclaimed! The squeal she let out served to wake her siblings with great ease! Gotta love that girl's energy!

After breakfast, we usually sprint right into chores and getting dressed. But today, I was determined not to burn us out. So we sort of puttered around the house, not doing much of anything. I did set in a load of laundry, and made my bed, and I was dressed to my shoes, but that's just a Flylady habit. There is no messing with a Flylady habit!

At 10AM I turned on the TV for Peanut to watch "Miss Spider's Sunny Patch Friends" which could also be known as "The only way we get any real school work done around here!" Imagine my dismay when I found out that Nick Jr. was messing with my schedule for the holiday! ACK! But Peanut was kind enough to oblige me and she set down to watching "The Backyardigans". I hold fast to the knowledge that one day we'll get back to no TV except at rest time. But it is not this day!

Bubba's always first with his 'mom' work! He is so compliant! The only problems I ever have with him stem from his perfectionism! But today, we only had reading, spelling, math, and grammar on the list! We're almost done with First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind. This is a biggie... it will be the FIRST full curriculum I have completed in the 2.5 years we've been homeschooling! We may have to have a party! Bubba and I read a chapter of Riding the Pony Express by Clyde Robert Bulla. His reading has really taken off! He just lacks confidence and stamina! All of which will come with time! His work was finished and I set him off for a break, after which he will complete his assignment sheet (independent work).

By this time, the TV show is over, so I sit Peanut down in front of a snack and call Princess in! Now, what this child lacks in compliance, she makes up for in smarts! She is such a quick learner, but she just doesn't like to do any work! I introduced her to the wonderful world of copywork last week and it was met with much wailing and gnashing of teeth! So this week, I decided to let the little diva have some control! She was going to get to make up the sentence she was to copy! And here is it: "Mom loves roses." I don't, but oh well! I was only wanting her to copy 2 words! Shhhhhh! I won't tell if you won't! I wrote it out, let her trace it first with a highlighter, then copy it with a pencil. She wanted to do it with a pen, but I think that was just one of those arguments for the sake of argument that she enjoys so well. We did math afterward, then it was time for her 'break'. She has to be like big brother!

About this time Bubba informs me that "Dora's Pirate Adventure" will be coming on at 11 and could they please watch it! Well, what kind of question is that?! This is The Black Pearl Academy! Of COURSE we will watch a Pirate show of any kind!! After all, we must keep to the Code!

The kids enjoyed the show and before I knew it, it was time for lunch, and rest time. Rest time is another term for "Watch a movie, and let me go play on the computer." It used to mean "Peanut naps, and the big kids listen to books on tape!" which just is so much more educational. But Peanut stopped napping a couple of weeks ago, and so the movie rest time has begun! A mom's gotta go what a mom's gotta do!

Mondays are the nights hubby teaches guitar lessons at his church, so it's just me and the kids! We had homemade pizza for supper, then played for a bit, and I put Peanut to bed. Ok, so that IS a perk of no nap time.. she's in bed by 7:45! I sat down to do some reading aloud to the big kids... Princess wanted the next chapters of Junie B. Jones, First Grader at Last! She's totally hooked on Junie B., possibly because she IS Junie B.! I usually cannot make it through a book without thinking "Wow this sounds just like Princess!" I do not enjoy reading this series aloud... ranks right up there with Magic Tree House. But she loves it!

We started Farmer Boy tonight as well. We're working our way through the Little House series and we have run out of them on tape to listen to in the car. So I'm having to do it the old-fashioned way! I really enjoy sharing these books with my kids since I loved them so much!

I got the kids in bed with relative ease, mopped the kitchen floor, and did The Firm Calorie Killer! Then I read my 3 chapters in the Bible, and watched a little bit of Hannity & Colmes. See what I mean? I LOVE Mondays!! Why does everything seem to go so well on Monday!? Why does it fall apart on Tuesday? LOL

Well, I'm praying for an extra measure of strength and patience tonight before I go to bed! Maybe I can just pretend tomorrow is Monday? Make some of the Monday flavor spill over into the rest of the week? Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Karen said...

O.K., if I had 1/2 your energy I would be happy :-) My answer to Nick Jr. schedule changes: Comcast OnDemand! Whenever we want to watch Blues Clues, morning, noon, or night, we can. By the way, if you go to Nickjr.com you can print off Dora pirate hats and treasure maps for the whole family ~ that's what we did today.

Nice blog. I'll look forward to your review of POTC 2!
Karen

J o y c e said...

I linked here from TWTM boards!

Glad to see your blog.

I also love Mondays - I feel rested and confident and purposeful -- and still optimistic about the week :)

I'll be back to visit; I linked to your on my Homeschool Blog List

Amy said...

Welcome to the blogworld! :) I actually love Mondays too (well, love may be a strong word! LOL) but I truly enjoy getting back into my routine and teaching.

Zelie (http://acalltoadventure.blogspot.com)